tomcat-users mailing list archives

From carlos.zottm...@stj.gov.br
Subject RE: Full GC freezes Tomcat
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:48:10 GMT

Hi!

      We increased the min and max heap trying to solve this problem. At
first, we had the same configuration parameters than in the old machine.

      Sorry for the newbie question, but how do I run a profiler?  We are
running with PrintTenuringDistribution, and, because of its output, I have
changed the young generation size do 128M (Xmn128M), but it didn´t solve
the problem.

      By the way, we have downloaded JRockit in order to evaluate it, but
the License Agreement says that it is not free..... Do you know any other
free implementation of the Java VM?

TIA,
Carlos Zottmann.

Fax: (61) 319-9411

                      "Shapira, Yoav"

                      <Yoav.Shapira@mpi        Para:     "Tomcat Users List"

                      .com>                     <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      15/04/2003 12:04         Assunto:  RE: Full GC freezes Tomcat

                      Favor responder a

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Howdy,

>The old machine was nicely running Tomcat 4.1.12 with j2sdk-1.4.0 (Xms48M
>and Xmx128M), and the new one is running Tomcat 4.1.18 with j2sdk-1.4.1_01
>(Xms512M and Xmx512M).

Why did you increase the min and max heap?  Just because you moved to a new
server, or for other reasons?

>With the new configuration, memory consumption keeps growing (some GCs and
>Full GCs are performed, releasing some memory) until it reaches the total
>available memory, when even Full GC can´t release enough memory and the
>Tomcat server stops responding.

Run it with a profiler to see what is consuming memory.

>What can be wrong? Should we use jdsdk_3 in order to be able to use the XX
>parameters?

No.  JDK 1.4 is more stable and supports the various -X parameters better
than 1.3.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.