tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam M Gunther <amgun...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: HTTPSessions objects in 4.1.24
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:19:47 GMT

First, Yoav, thanks again for your help!  I was looking at older archives.
I have since found the current ones and read SRV 7.7.2 of Servlet Spec 2.3.

The beginning of SRV 7.7.2 reads, "Within an application marked as
distributable. . ."  I am NOT working in a distributed environment.  If you
look in manager.html (see
%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\tomcat-docs\config\manager.html) you can see that
there is a common attribute of manager called "distributable."  This
defaults to false and is based upon whether or not <distributable> exists
in my WEB-INF/web.xml.  I double-checked and it DOES NOT exist in web.xml.
It would then seem logical to assume that TC should not be forcing me to
make my HTTPSession objects serializable since distributable should be set
to false (based on TC documentation).

Any thoughts you all might have would be greatly appreciated!

Adam Gunther
IBM Emerging Technologies Toolkit
Autonomic, Grid, and Web Services Technologies
Research Triangle Park, NC
(919) 543-6091 T/L 441-6091
amgunthe@us.ibm.com
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ettk

                      "Shapira, Yoav"

                      <Yoav.Shapira@mpi        To:       "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      .com>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: HTTPSessions objects in 4.1.24

                      04/30/2003 11:01

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Howdy,
See Servlet Specification, v.2.3, section SRV.7.7.2.  Also search this
list's archives, as this issue has been raised several times since the
4.1.24 release (actually I think since the 4.1.18 release).

As to when tomcat started enforcing this: I'm not sure.  Perhaps someone
else can answer.  But it doesn't really matter if you want your app to
be spec-compliant and thus container-independent.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

java.io.NotSerializableException:
>com.ibm.services.profile.AttributeData
>

> Thank You,
>

>Adam Gunther
>IBM Emerging Technologies Toolkit
>Autonomic, Grid, and Web Services Technologies
>Research Triangle Park, NC
>(919) 543-6091 T/L 441-6091
>amgunthe@us.ibm.com
>http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ettk

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.