tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Lenz" <ML...@piercemfg.com>
Subject Re: Stream PDF using servlet
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:02:36 GMT

Thank you Lior.  That seemed to help the IE error but now I'm getting an
error from Acrobat Reader before it opens the file saying "File does not
begin with '%PDF-'.".  I think it may be because the link doesn't end with
.pdf.  So I tried to add ?x=dummy.pdf to the end of my URL, but it still
gives me the '%PDF-' error.

Mark Lenz
Pierce Manufacturing, Inc.
(920) 832-3523
mlenz@piercemfg.com

  Lior Shliechkorn
  <liorshliech@yahoo.com>                 To:        Tomcat Users List
                                  <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
                                          cc:
  04/24/2003 09:46 AM                     Subject:        Re: Stream PDF
  Please respond to "Tomcat Users using servlet
  List"

Lucky for you I just fixed this problem recently. Take out the setHeader
(..) that have to do with the no-cache and try again.

Mark Lenz <MLenz@piercemfg.com> wrote:
I'm trying to stream a PDF to a browser using a servlet. It works fine
using Mozilla. But, sure enough, I just can't get it to work with IE
(great standards compliance!). When I try to download the PDF through IE
(6.0), it asks me what I want to do (open or save the file). If I choose
open I get an error "Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet
site. The request site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please
try again later.". Here's the code from my servlet for streaming the PDF:

File pdf_file = new File("
");
if (!pdf_file.exists())
{
//display error message
return;
}
else
{
int filesize = (int)pdf_file.length();
res.setContentType("application/pdf");
res.setContentLength(filesize);
res.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
res.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
ServletOutputStream out = res.getOutputStream();

byte[] data = new byte[filesize];
DataInputStream in = new DataInputStream(new
FileInputStream(pdf_file));
in.readFully(data);
in.close();
out.write(data);
out.flush();
out.close();
}

I must be missing a simple thing that IE requires. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Mark Lenz
Pierce Manufacturing, Inc.
(920) 832-3523
mlenz@piercemfg.com

The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential
information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above, and may be privileged. If the reader of this message is not the
you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender
immediately, delete this material from your computer and destroy all
related paper media. Please note that the documents transmitted are not
intended to be binding until a hard copy has been manually signed by all
parties.
Thank you.