tomcat-users mailing list archives

From h...@informatiefabriek.nl
Subject Re: Show files on filesystem
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:08:01 GMT
Thanks for your reply....

I think I should go with the second option. Do have an example on how to
do this?

Thanks,

Harm.

"Andre E. Bar'yudin" <baryudin@pob.huji.ac.il>
04/16/2003 11:06 AM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Show files on filesystem

On Срд, Апр 16, 2003 at 10:35:33 +0200, harm@informatiefabriek.nl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have Tomcat 4.1 running on Linux.
>
> I have installed Tomcat in /usr/java/jakarta-tomcat/
>
> In my web application I would like to offer my user the possibilty to
view
> PDF files stored elsewhere on the filesystem.
> The PDF's are in /var/om/pdfs
>
> In my web application I have a link the user can click. When he does so,
> PDF should be downloaded or displayed in the browser.
>
> How can I achieve this using only Tomcat?

The simpliest way is to make a link to your PDF files.  To the files
themselves you may make a hard link, pointing somewhere under the Tomcat
directory hierarchy.  To link directories, you'll have to use sybmolic
links, which might require some configuration with newer versions of
Tomcat.

Another, more generic approach would be to use the standard Java IO API
to read the file from its original location and then just write it out
to the servlet's output stream.

Regards,

Andre.

--
Andre E. Bar'yudin
Phone: (972)-54-882-026       ICQ: 48036924