tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "MOISSET Gérard OCISI" <gerar.mois...@francetelecom.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1 slower than Tomcat 3.3
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:50:20 GMT
We are working on bench,
- 1)on Linux: Apache1.3x-Tomcat4.0x (with JOnAs 2.5x)
- 2)on Solaris8, Aix433, HpUx11i: Apache1.3x-Tomcat4.1x (without JOnAS)

We can confirm that to improved your performances you need to follow
something like,
- test with a mimimal sample which is good (one with JSP, one with Servlet)
- tunable parameters from operating system for some systems
(Linux,Solaris,Hp) according to
"file descriptor limit"
"stack TCP"
"shm, sem"
- choose the good JVM and improve with its tunable parmaters
- tunable parameters according to your client requests (HTTP or SSL over
HTTP on Apache)
- monitoring with operating system commands without profiling (your sample
is good)

on  bench N°1) we found that the good JVM was SDK 1.3 from IBM not from SUN
and (1.4 is better than 1.3 but we are obliged to stay at 1.3 release for
some reasons).
We checked with Jolt/Tuxedo sample. Every thing worked fine.

on  bench N°2) we are looking for a good JVM on Solaris first step we are
trying a bench with a good SDK.

Did you check comparative tests beetween those two SDK on Solaris(IBM1.3.1
and SUN 1.3.1 with patch cluster J2SE on Release 1.3)?
We are looking for some samples (without encoding problems) to bench JDBC
driver (thin) with Oracle.
Do you know something good to do this test?