tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andy Eastham" <andy.east...@gliant.com>
Subject RE: How to debug servlets under tomcat?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:02:29 GMT
Logging has it's place in most commercial code - you can't use the "step
through code" method for problems that only happen under load for example.

However I agree with the general principle that some bugs are very easy to
find in an IDE.

My personal favourite is Sun One Studio available free from java.sun.com.
You can debug servlets directly, as within many other IDEs.

However, it's worth pointing out that you don't need to run in a servlet
environment to debug most bits of code.  Often it's easy to call the code
that's failing from a simple test class in the IDE.

Andy