tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: DefaultHost
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:38:21 GMT
The problem is that (per the docs) there can only be a single engine, and
each engine must have a single default host.

Am I wrong that only the default host can run servlets in the init sequence
upon startup of Tomcat?

Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: David Brownlee [mailto:osaru_online@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 1:05 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: DefaultHost

Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.  The host elements, like
name-base virtual hosts in Apache, use the Host: HTTP header to determine
which virtual host you're referring to.  Older HTTP 1.0 clients may not
provide this header and so tomcat has no way to know which host the client
wanted.  In this case, tomcat uses the default host which may still be wrong
but, hey, it's worth a try.

I'm assuming to get around this, you would have to define a different
service for each host, each with connectors bound to thier own address/port
combinations.  In that case, you would not use the host elements.  However,
I have not tried this yet.