tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "hacking bear" <>
Subject Setting locale encoding in Filter
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:59:43 GMT

My app needs to handle multiple locale/encoding and since the user chooses
locale at login I try to just set the locale encoding in a servlet filter so
that I don't have to do that in every page or servlet:

void doFilter(request, response, FilterChain next) {
     if (next != null) {
         next.doFilter(request, response);
     response.setContentType("text/html; charset=" + encoding);
     response.addHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");

1. This almost works except some JSP pages sometimes (but not always)
displaying '?' garbage character. But if I set the response's
locale/encoding again at the beginning of the JSP page, the problem goes

2. If I move the set locale/encoding codes before the next.doFilter(), then
all pages display garbage only.

Is this the right way? What do I do wrong?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message