tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rooda, William J" <wro...@indiana.edu>
Subject RE: Requested Resource Not Available
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:45:57 GMT
I have had some similar problems, albeit on a Windows 2K server.  It
ALWAYS says that the given resource is not available if you don't have
the web.xml file in the WEB-INF folder.

I haven't done the research to find WHY that problem exists... but this
solved it for me:

If you're JUST using *.jsp files, and not servlets or classes, you don't
really NEED a web.xml file.  And using JDK 1.3, it used to allow me to
NOT have a web.xml file.  But the new upgrade is much more strict about
the default structures.  I would recommend creating a WEB-INF folder in
your webapp, and putting a web.xml file inside.  Also, put a "classes"
folder in the WEB-INF directory, even if there are no classes inside.
When I did that, it started to recognize that the folder was its own
webapp, rather than treating it like a resource.

*/Tomcat 4.1/webapps/yourapplication/WEB-INF/web.xml
*/Tomcat 4.1/webapps/yourapplication/WEB-INF/classes

I don't know what your familiarity with using servlets and classes is (I
don't want to offend you if you already know all of this), but if it
won't accept a blank web.xml file, email me at wrooda@indiana.edu and I
can send you a sample one.

Hope this helps somewhat,

WJR