tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christopher M. Zinn" <CZ...@forge-tech.com>
Subject RE: Setting system properties for Tomcat as NT service ?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:29:48 GMT
When running as a Service on Windows, the -D commands go into the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat 4.1\Parameters

You'll see a REG_DWORD value called "JVM Option Count" and several keys called "JVM Option
Number x".  This is also where you can repoint Tomcat
To a new runtime (like the server rumtime.)  As well as many other nifty options.

______________________________
Christopher Zinn
Forge-Tech, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mart Käsper [mailto:mart@netsoftlund.se]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 6:04 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Setting system properties for Tomcat as NT service ?

Hi,

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.24 (invoked from IIS) on a Win2K box as a NT
service. It starts OK and seems to execute my classes fine, but my
classes cannot find the system properties I've tried to set.

What I did was (roughly):
* installed Tomcat, instructing it to register as a service
* set CATALINA_OPTS as an environment variable containing my -D... settings
* restarted Tomcat and invoking the servlet

but my environment variables were not found (System.getProperty()
returned null).

I even tried editing catalina.bat just to get some clues, but it just
left me more confused - nothing happened.

Is it so that I should have set CATALINA_OPTS before installing Tomcat,
or what ? If it is - how do I re-register the Tomcat service ?

Thanks in advance,

    Mart Käsper                 E-mail            : mart@netsoftlund.se
    Netsoft Lund AB
    Bredgatan 17                Tel (in place)    : +46 46  19 04 95
    SE-222 21 Lund, Sweden      Tel (on the road) : +46 70 319 04 95

    This e-mail is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and
    incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used
    fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or
    persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

    Also, no animals were hurt during the creation and transfer of
    this e-mail.