tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject RE: [partially off topic] How can I detect java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:48:42 GMT
As you have a quite undefined state after a OutOfMemoryError
occured you can't rely on anything that tries to do anything
inside the current vm.

I see following options:

- Monitor the application or the the log from the outside
  for OutOfMemoryErrors.

- Monitor the application from the inside, but don't watch
  for OutOfMemoryErrors but for the total/free memory
  and do what you want whenever these value reach critical
  values.

- Do a mixture of both (My recommendation):
  Write a jsp that prints out the total and free memory
  Write a external job that requests this page frequently,
  and performs the check on the result. (This way you can
  decrease the treshhold for the  critical values, as you
  don't have to rely on the current vm to send the mail)