tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shanta B <B.Sha...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Special characters problem under Tomcat 4.1.24
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:02:03 GMT
try
-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre E. Bar'yudin [mailto:baryudin@pob.huji.ac.il]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 9:00 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Special characters problem under Tomcat 4.1.24

khachchou simo wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>It will be great if someone can answer my question please as soon as
possible.

>While trying to port a (JSP/Servlet HTML) application which works well
under Tomcat 3.3 to Tomcat 4.1.24, I found that special characters( like
"&eacute;" : accents, tilde...) were replaced with "?". And this problem is
not existing under Tomcat 3.3.

>Now to fix the problem, I've tried the following steps, in sequence:
>
>1) I cut apache out of the loop and accessed tomcat directly to see
>if it
>interfered at all- no change
>2) I added <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
>CONTENT="text/html;charset=UTF-8"> to inside my html-head tags
>3) I added <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> to
>my JSP pages
>4) Finally, I tried doing request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") at
>the top
>of my doGet and doPut methods

Sometimes other calls can influence the charset of your response, for
instance response.setLocale()
Try to check what's the actual value of the "Content-Type" header,
returned by Tomcat.

Regards,

Andre.