tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sasha Borodin <sa...@whoissasha.com>
Subject Symbolically linked jar files in WEB-INF/lib
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:04:42 GMT
I apologize in advance if I have overlooked this issue in documentation - I
have searched both the docs and the newsgroups extensively for this...

I'm trying to keep just one master copy of any one of my jar files, and
symbolic links pointing to it where needed - in this case, specifically from
a webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.

But this causes an exception to be thrown during Tomcat start-up:

---begin paste of localhost_log

2003-04-28 12:22:30 ContextConfig[/da] Exception processing JAR at resource
path /WEB-INF/lib/cos.jar
javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception processing JAR at resource path
/WEB-INF/lib/cos.jar
<followed by stack trace>
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid TLD resource path
/WEB-INF/lib/cos.jar
<another stack trace>

2003-04-28 12:22:30 ContextConfig[/da]: Marking this application unavailable
due to previous error(s)

---end paste of localhost_log

When I create a WAR of a webapp, jar automatically follows symbolic links,
and thus the original jar files are added to the archive.  However, I find
it much more convenient to keep the webapp expanded during development.

Here's some stats on my system:
OS:     MacOS X (10.2.5)
Tomcat: 4.1.24

Is there a setting in server.xml that I have overlooked for following
symbolic links?  Or is what I'm trying to do not allowed?  I'm surprised I
didn't see anyone ask this question already...

Thank you,

-Sasha Borodin