tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Euan Guttridge <EGuttri...@buildonline.com>
Subject RE: Installs/deploys to... why?
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:28:04 GMT
In my (limited) experience of deploying with ant, the webapp gets deployed
into the /work directory. Extract from Wrox "Professional Tomcat", p401:

In reference to the ant deploy task:
--"Note that the WAR file did not get moved to the webapps directory. The
WAR file in fact got copied to the
$CATALINA_HOME/work/standalone/localhost/manager directory and then it was
automatically expanded into the
$CATALINA_HOME/work/standalone/localhost/wrox directory."--

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:Wendy.Smoak@asu.edu]
Sent: 16 April 2003 01:36
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Installs/deploys to... why?

Karsten wrote:
> 1. I'm using Ant to (deploy/)install my web app to a local Tomcat 4.1.
> Any time I do that, my web app gets installed in the context path
> /basketball, which is right. The index.html is found, so the install
> seems to work. However, on the local server, when looking for the files
> that have been installed, I don't get where the web application files
> actually are!

If you used 'install', the files are wherever you told ant they were, the
files do not get moved.  Example:

<target name="install" depends="init" description="Install application to
servlet container"> <install url="${manager.url}"
username="${manager.username}" password="${manager.password}"
path="/${context}" war="file://w:/java/bendev/webapp" />
</target>

And in w:/java/bendev/webapp is the normal directory structure you'd find
for any webapp... some html files, a WEB-INF directory, etc.

> Anytime install or deploy succeeds, the directory called
> <tomcat-root>/work/Standalone/localhost/manager/basketball is created,
> however, *only* with the WEB-INF subdir recursively plus all the class
> files.

Mine (4.1.24) creates the same structure, but *only* the JSP source and
.class files are there.  Look closely at the class names you find there,
aren't they the JSP's and not your other .class files?

I'm getting confused as to whether you're using 'install' or 'deploy' and
they are different, so I'll stop now before I get the rest of it wrong. ;)

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.