tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Euan Guttridge <EGuttri...@buildonline.com>
Subject RE: Switching between releases during runtime
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 08:34:43 GMT
Hi,

See below - when I use the deploy ant task from the catalina-ant.jar, my app
also gets deployed to only the work directory. How can you configure the ant
task to deploy to webapps?

Thanks

>Thanks for your ideas, but how do they work out in the ant deploy
>scenario, where the application actually resides in "/usr/local/tomcat/
>work/Standalone/localhost/manager/forms.war" ?

>>The application does NOT reside in the work directory.  The application
>>sides at tomcat's appBase directory, typically $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, or
in >>your above example, /usr/local/tomcat/webapps.

>Thanks for your ideas, but how do they work out in the ant deploy
>scenario, where the application actually resides in "/usr/local/tomcat/
>work/Standalone/localhost/manager/forms.war" ?

The application does NOT reside in the work directory.  The application
resides at tomcat's appBase directory, typically $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, or
in your above example, /usr/local/tomcat/webapps.

>*) Is it an option to create a symlink "forms" in the /webapps
directory
>to point to
"/usr/local/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/manager/forms.war
>"?

Don't link into tomcat's work directory.  Don't depend on the contents,
structure, or organization (or existence!) of tomcat's work directory.

>*) The best thing would be a pseudo-context which simply points to
another
>context, so each request gets mapped to the versioned context.

My previous solution works on unix.  On windows, I'm aware of the symlink
trouble.  Yet another unfortunate consequence of that OS, but oh well.  I
would say redeploy everytime.  Or have the version in the context name
itself, e.g. have webapps/MyWebApp1.0 and webapps/MyWebApp2.0.  You can use
tomcat's manager to stop/start/redeploy any version of your webapp then.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

sender.  Thank you.