tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Geoff Peters" <Ge...@logic.bm>
Subject Slightly OT: SocketException with MySQL
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:37:19 GMT
I am using Tomcat 4.1.18, MySQL 3.23, newest driver, running on Linux 7.3. Problem is similar
to others who have posted on this subject, just want some advice (can't seem to get a definite
answer).

I'm not using connection pooling. If I walk away and leave the server running for several
hours, I come back and cannot access the database via the servlet, the catalina.out file tells
me "SQL Error: Communication link failure: java.net.SocketException". Happens whether or not
I am running TOmcat remotely on or the same box as MySQL (i.e. not a network issue). I made
sure all of my connection objects were close in the destroy() method of each servlet thinking
all of the sockets were full, still didn't work. I just recently set autoReconnect = true
in my server.xml realm tag - that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Should that work? Or, should I be closing the connection object IMMEDIATELY after each executeUpdate
or executeQuery? Currently am opening a connection in the init() method, and killing in the
destroy().

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Geoff