tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [partially off topic] How can I detect java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:12:23 GMT

Howdy,
This is a very uphill battle, if it's tractable at all.

>From the JavaDoc for java.lang.Error:
"An Error is a subclass of Throwable that indicates serious problems that a reasonable application
should not try to catch."

Nothing inside Tomcat (indeed nothing in general AFAIK) declares itself as throwing an OutOfMemoryError.
 So the best you could do is surround the whole thing that controls tomcat (I'm assuming you're
using Embedded tomcat?) in a big try { } catch (Throwable t) clause.

Inside the catch, look to see if t is instanceof OutOfMemoryError.  If that's the case, do
whatever you want, otherwise propagate it (throw t).

This is a risky, non-standard approach.  I think you would be better served in the long term
to configure the server or the apps running on it such that it doesn't run out of memory.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics