tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Customizing login system in Tomcat ?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:11:45 GMT

Howdy,
You'll need some sort of a token, e.g. a cookie on the user's PC or an
object in the user's session, to identify the fact the user has been
authenticated.  Since you don't want to modify the HTML pages
themselves, you can use a Filter-based approach:
- Write a Filter that processes all requested (i.e. its url-pattern is
/*)
- The filter checks the request (if using a cookie) or the session for
the presence of the authenticated token
- If token is present, do nothing (call doChain() to pass the request
forward)
- If token is absent, forward to your existing authentication servlet
giving the original request URL as an argument, so that the
authentication servlet can forward the user there when it's done
authenticating

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Tomcat, so
>that the users can log in.
>The problem is that I already have my login-system : it's a servlet
that
>ccess a database to verify the login/password and, if it's OK, that
>redirect to another servlet.
>I would like to use the tomcat's authentication system IN my servlet,
so
>the user is identified and has not to login each time he accesses a
HTML