tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Requested Resource Not Available
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:23:57 GMT

Howdy,

>I have had some similar problems, albeit on a Windows 2K server.  It
>ALWAYS says that the given resource is not available if you don't have
>the web.xml file in the WEB-INF folder.
>
>I haven't done the research to find WHY that problem exists... but this
>solved it for me:
>
>If you're JUST using *.jsp files, and not servlets or classes, you
don't
>really NEED a web.xml file.  And using JDK 1.3, it used to allow me to

Congratulations: I think the above is the single most eye-popping
argument I've read on this list yet (and that's a tall claim!).  ;)

Web applications absolutely need a web.xml file in its defined location
as the deployment descriptor.  This applies whether you have only
servlets, only JSPs, only static content, no content at all, or a mix of
the above.

If you're not sure of the above, or "hasn't done the research", I
suggest you RTFM.  The Servlet Specification is very clear on this.

Any workaround you try, even if it works due to a combination of hacks
and container-specific features, is a lose-lose situation.  Instead,
create a boilerplate valid web.xml file and put it where it belongs.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics