tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Maybe OT: File Locking and Tomcat
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:14:19 GMT

Howdy,

>I'm implementing a web app using Tomcat 4.1 running on linus with JDK
>1.3 and currently my client doesn't want to use a database to store

This is not always a bad thing! ;)

>A potential solution I'm looking into involves checking for a lock file
>(like my-file.csv.lock).  If it doesn't exist, I create it, then write
>to the CSV, otherwise, I wait til the lock file doesn't exist.

This is a good solution as it's platform-independent,
database-independent, lightweight, and self-contained within your
webapp.  I would make two small suggestions:

- Use the javax.servlet.context.tempdir directory for the lock file, as
this is the one (actually you could use java.io.tmpdir as well) place
you're guaranteed write permissions.

- Either don't wait for the lock file to not exist, instead putting a
message to the user to try again later, or wait for a very short time.
Don't get into a state that could appear as 'hung' to the user.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics