tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Query | Apache Commons and Log4J
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:54:17 GMT

Howdy,

>Does it matter to Struts if I don't have commons-logging.jar in WEB-
>INF/lib?

Why don't you try it and see? ;)  I'm only partially kidding.

You may want to try commons-logging-1.0.3, as it contains improvements
exactly in this area (operation inside a servlet container with a more
complex classloader hierarchy).

>The result I get of putting the jar files in my WEB-INF/lib is that
after
>my app is loaded _all_ log messages (from tomcat and Struts too) appear
in >my log file instead of catalina.out or console.

That may be desirable behavior for some people (including myself
sometimes), but apparently not for you.  How about you configure
separate appenders for the tomcat/struts logging calls and for your own
classes?  If you're unclear on how to do this, ask on the log4j-user
list.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics