tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Switching between releases during runtime
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:21:09 GMT

Howdy,

>BTW - it is  a bit stony to look up all the configuration options in
>server.xml beyond the HOWTOs. Is there no other way than grabbling the
>apidoc, which primary tells an options exists, but not how/when to use
it
>and which values it might have!

There is another way of course.  Clicking on the
Configuration->Reference link in the tomcat docs home.  Eventually you
will find the Context configuration reference:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html

>Sidenote: Does applying a Resource to the ROOT context mean its
resources
>automatically gets available for all other contexts?

No.  Putting it in the <GlobalNamingResources> element does.  This
element is at the <Server> level, not the <Context> level.

>*) The purpose of this method of deployment is NOT testing!

I misunderstood -- my apologies ;)

>At production, I have the "active version" symlink and want to switch
it
>over to the next release, to have no downtime. This is the only target
of
>the whole operation! I don't want to put my customers off for 10
seconds
>to show up 404 errors in a high usage environment.

In this case a cluster is a great solution as Senor Hanik suggested.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics