tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: Switching between releases during runtime
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:21:09 GMT

>BTW - it is  a bit stony to look up all the configuration options in
>server.xml beyond the HOWTOs. Is there no other way than grabbling the
>apidoc, which primary tells an options exists, but not how/when to use
>and which values it might have!

There is another way of course.  Clicking on the
Configuration->Reference link in the tomcat docs home.  Eventually you
will find the Context configuration reference:

>Sidenote: Does applying a Resource to the ROOT context mean its
>automatically gets available for all other contexts?

No.  Putting it in the <GlobalNamingResources> element does.  This
element is at the <Server> level, not the <Context> level.

>*) The purpose of this method of deployment is NOT testing!

I misunderstood -- my apologies ;)

>At production, I have the "active version" symlink and want to switch
>over to the next release, to have no downtime. This is the only target
>the whole operation! I don't want to put my customers off for 10
>to show up 404 errors in a high usage environment.

In this case a cluster is a great solution as Senor Hanik suggested.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: