tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: Out of memory error
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:18:38 GMT

>(2) I think its silly that SUN has slated fixing this bug for 1.5 and
>workaround makes very little sense - Anyone know what the following
>work around translates to in actual code?
>"Don't reuse StringBuffers. If you do reuse them, check their capacity
>make sure that you aren't making tiny Strings from huge StringBuffers"

It means use a StringBuffer just once.  To be safe, don't play with the
StringBuffer.clear() and don't keep references to StringBuffers after
you're done using them.  Construct a new StringBuffer every time you
need one.

>(3) Steve, last time I downloaded an IBM JRE (a real long time ago) it
>a real pain as it was (a) buried within many nested web pages and (b)
>part of a websphere download - Do you offhand have a direct link to
(just) >IBM's 1.4 JRE?

Note that this does not constitute an endorsement of the IBM JDK on my
part ;)  I don't particularly like their JDK.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: