tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet Mapping URL Pattern
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:37:59 GMT

Howdy,

>If the name of my WAR file is app.war, and the
><servlet-name> in the web.xml is appServlet, what
>should the URL pattern be in the <servlet-mapping>?

Whatever you want it to be ;)  That's the fun part of url-pattern
mapping.  Of course, your JSPs need to know what this mapping is.

><servlet-mapping>
><servlet-name>appServlet</servlet-name>
><url-pattern>/app/servlet/appServlet</url-pattern>
></servlet-mapping>

Probably not.  url-pattern is relative to the context root, so don't add
/app at the beginning.  Personally, I also don't like to let the user
agent know they're dealing with a servlet unless I have to, so omit the
/servlet portion and/or use Page instead.

Resulting in:
<servlet-name>appServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/appPage</url-pattern>

JSPs that are at your docBase would then have form action="./appPage".
JSPs that are a level down, e.g. at docBase/dir1 would have form
action="../appPage".  Or everything can have
form action=getContextPath() + "/appPage"

>is not available.  There are no error messages in any
>of the log files.  I can see that the init parameters

Enable the AccessLogValve.  Look at it to see exactly what URL was
requested by the client.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics