tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Why Tomcat creates 30 threads on start up?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:30:09 GMT

Howdy,

>Thank u for the reply. But Tomcat 4.0.2 on a win NT creates only 26-27
>threads at start up. But 4.1.18 have 30. What are the reasons to
increse
>the thread count to 34-35.

Do a diff on the relevant tags in tomcat's CVS tree, and you'll see the
code changes that may result in increased server threads ;)  Or use the
SystemThreadList utility (or anything else along those lines -- they're
easy to write) I posted to the list yesterday to see exactly what these
additional threads are.

But as Senor Halstead says, you shouldn't really be worried about this
too much.

>One time it reached 80 and tomcat hung up.

Do you think there's a causal relationship there?  Or a coincidence?
Can you reproduce it?  You know tomcat will add request processing
threads as needed in the face of heavy loads -- this, too, is
configurable.  (See minProcessors, maxProcessors, acceptCount settings
in server.xml).

>And I don't know JVM profiling etc.

If you're a java developer (as opposed to a server admin for example),
then JVM profiling is a very useful skill.  Perhaps a bit of a black art
when it comes to interpretation, as evidenced by the "tomcat 4.1 is
slower than 3.3" thread last week ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics