tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Koes, Derrick" <Derrick.K...@smith-nephew.com>
Subject RE: Not Enough Space when running Java-Oracle Application
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:54:03 GMT

May I ask why you didn't opt for DB2 on AIX rather than Oracle?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Turner [mailto:tomcat-user@johnturner.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 3:45 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Not Enough Space when running Java-Oracle Application

Yes, its your DB server that is reporting the error.  Or rather, your Java
code is throwing a SQLException because of an error on your DB server.  The
error on your DB server is:

> (ERROR=(BUF='IBM/AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 12: Not enough space'))))

I would check:

- transaction log space
- temporary database/swap space (paging files)
- general disk space

and finally, after approx. 12 seconds with Google and a quick search on one
of the results, I would check the "Extended Shared Memory" on your AIX
server, as explained in the "Extended Shared Memory" section of this URL:

http://os.cc.biu.ac.il/documentation/oracle/8.1.7_doc/unixdoc/aix.817/a85469
/req.htm

...which states that:

AIX Version 4.2.1 introduced a new feature, extended shared memory, which
allows an application to attach to more than eleven (11) shared memory
segments, and removes the restriction of attaching shared memory segments
only at 256 MB segment boundaries. This feature is turned on by setting the
environment variable EXTSHM to ON. However, with extended shared memory,
async I/O cannot be performed from buffers stored in shared memory.
Therefore, Oracle does not support use of extended shared memory. If you
attempt to start Oracle with extended shared memory turned on, you will get
the following error:

ORA-02899: smscre: Cannot create SGA with extended Shared Memory feature
IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 12: Not enough space

Note the error message above.  Which, as Mike pointed out already, shows
that your problem is most likely a memory problem on your DB server.

John

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:17:49 +0000, Hari Om <hari_om@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> THANKS!
>
> I guess the problem is NOT Oracle related....becos my log file DOES NOT
> shows any ORA-##### error number.
> The error in LOG File shows following:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection
> refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153092352)(ERR=12500)
> (ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12500)(EMFI=4)) (ERROR=(CODE=12540)(EMFI=4))
> (ERROR=(CODE=12560)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(CODE=510)(EMFI=4))
> (ERROR=(BUF='IBM/AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 12: Not enough space'))))
>
> THANKS!
>

>> From: "mike jackson" <mjackson@cdi-hq.com>
>> To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Subject: RE: Not Enough Space when running Java-Oracle Application
>> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:59:25 -0700
>>
>> I'd try increasing the memory limit, set it to unlimited.  The vmstat
>> output isn't relevant.
>>
>> But you still haven't answered my question about what's reporting the
>> error.  If its java then the memory limit could be the answer, but you
>> haven't answered the question of if it's OutOfMemoryException or some
>> other message that says out of space.  The key is that you need to
>> determine where the error is originating.  Oracle errors typically have
>> a code associated with them (ORA-00602 for example), if your error had a
>> "code" then it's an oracle error and you'd be better off asking an
>> oracle list.
>>
>> For that matter I'm not clear if this is an Exception (of any type) or
>> something else, you really need to supply more information.
>>
>> --mikej
>> -=------
>> mike jackson
>> mjackson@cdi-hq.com

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Smith & Nephew and
intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain information which is
covered by legal, professional or other privilege.  If you are not the
intended addressee, or someone authorized by the intended addressee to
receive transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain,
disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this
transmission.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message.