tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig Berry" <Craig.Be...@portblue.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Admin 'Invalid Direct Reference' error
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:46:53 GMT
Somewhere you are linking to (or loading) your login form page directly, rather than linking
to (or loading) a protected page from the application and allowing the security system to
redirect you to the login page when needed.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Matthew Smith [mailto:matthew@invisiblesun.net]
	Sent: Sun 4/27/2003 7:16 AM
	To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
	Subject: Tomcat Admin 'Invalid Direct Reference' error

	Hi folks.  I just installed Tomcat (4.1.24-LE-jdk14) on mac os x
	(10.2.5)

	I modified my tomacat-users.xml (See end of email) file to enable the
	Tomcat Administration webapp by adding a user with role admin and I get
	the following error:

	<snip>
	HTTP Status 400 - Invalid direct reference to form login page
	type Status report
	message Invalid direct reference to form login page
	description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect
	(Invalid direct reference to form login page).
	Apache Tomcat/4.1.24-LE-jdk14
	</snip>

	This only happens with a valid user and password.  If the username
	and/or password is incorrect I get the standard invalid username
	password page.

	Anybody have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

	Thanks.

	#tomcat-users.xml
	<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
	<tomcat-users>
	   <role rolename="tomcat"/>
	   <role rolename="role1"/>
	   <role rolename="admin"/>
	   <user username="matthew" password="[realpsswdrmvd]" roles="admin"/>
	   <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
	   <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
	   <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
	</tomcat-users>