tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: HTTP 304 status code
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:46:44 GMT
Hi,

I thought, maybe I should post the def. of 304: (taken from http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html)

10.3.5 304 Not Modified

If the client has performed a conditional GET request and access is allowed, but the document
has not been modified, the server SHOULD respond with this status code. The 304 response MUST
NOT contain a message-body, and thus is always terminated by the first empty line after the
header fields.

The response MUST include the following header fields:

      - Date, unless its omission is required by section 14.18.1

If a clockless origin server obeys these rules, and proxies and clients add their own Date
to any response received without one (as already specified by [RFC 2068], section 14.19),
caches will operate correctly.

      - ETag and/or Content-Location, if the header would have been sent
        in a 200 response to the same request

      - Expires, Cache-Control, and/or Vary, if the field-value might
        differ from that sent in any previous response for the same
        variant

If the conditional GET used a strong cache validator (see section 13.3.3), the response SHOULD
NOT include other entity-headers. Otherwise (i.e., the conditional GET used a weak validator),
the response MUST NOT include other entity-headers; this prevents inconsistencies between
cached entity-bodies and updated headers.

If a 304 response indicates an entity not currently cached, then the cache MUST disregard
the response and repeat the request without the conditional.

If a cache uses a received 304 response to update a cache entry, the cache MUST update the
entry to reflect any new field values given in the response.

Hope it helps
-reynir