tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turoff, Steve" <Steve.Tur...@tenethealth.com>
Subject Tomcat Memory Problems and WebTrends
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:04:37 GMT
Greetings,

I am running Tomcat 4.1.24 and Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux). Every night, a WebTrends
server makes a request to every page in the Apache access_logs. I believe this is to obtain
the HTML title for the WebTrends reports. I've noticed that when WebTrends makes it's requests,
Tomcat's memory starts to climb dramatically. I modified httpd.conf to pipe the access_logs
into a script I wrote which outputs the line from the access_log (actually a shorter custom
Format) and the amount of memory that Tomcat is using. I've attached a sample at the end of
this email. As you can see from 03:36:59 AM to 04:01:15, Tomcat's memory almost doubles. On
some nights, Tomcat actually stops accepting requests and I have to kill all of the java processes
in order to restart Tomcat. I've attempted to recreate this problem using The Grinder (load
tester), but cannot do so.

Can anyone think of why requests from WebTrends would cause this problem?

Thanks,
Steve

Steven Turoff
Peoples Health Network
200 W. Esplanade Ave., Suite 600
Kenner, Louisiana 70065
tel: 504.461.9800 ext. 4363
fax: 461.9809

CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH INFORMATION

This email message and any accompanying attachments are confidential and privileged. This
information is intended solely for the addressee; access by anyone else is unauthorized. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by erroneous transmission. If you are not the
intended recipient, any forwarding, opening of attachments, disclosure, copying, distribution,
or other action, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender at Peoples Health Network immediately.