tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Installs/deploys to work dir... why?
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:44:17 GMT

I'm a bit mystified why you have basketball.war in CATALINA_HOME/webapps
because neither ant task copies it there.  You must have put it there
yourself.  Stop Tomcat, remove it from webapps, and it shouldn't appear
there again.

As for the install/deploy tasks, here are mine...

     <target name="catalina-install" depends="compile,manager.init"
             description="Install application to servlet container" >
         <catalina-install
             url="${manager.url}"
             username="${manager.username}"
             password="${manager.password}"
             config="${app.ccf}"
             path="${app.path}" />
     </target>

     <target name="catalina-deploy" depends="war,manager.init"
             description="Deploy web-app war" >
         <echo message="${app.war}"/>
         <catalina-deploy
             url="${manager.url}"
             username="${manager.username}"
             password="${manager.password}"
             path="${app.path}"
             war="${app.war}" />
     </target>

Notice that I use a context configuration file, or CCF ( ${app.ccf} ), in
the install task.  The <Context> docBase attribute in the CCF points to the
local directory where my build exists.  So, the app is "deployed" from
wherever it exist on the file system and not from a .war file and it isn't
copied anywhere like the webapps directory.

The "deploy" task includes a context configuration file in the .war file in
META-INF/context.xml to describe the app.  I use the deploy task *only* for
permanent installs of my application that I need to exist across server
restarts.  And this war file does *not* end up in the webapps
directory.  Only in the work directory for the manager app.

Hope that helps.

BTW, would you mind posting your "startup-local" target?

thanks,

Jake