tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Micael <caraun...@harbornet.com>
Subject Re: <If> STRUTS</If>
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:19:12 GMT
You need to get a big picture of what struts is.

Struts is a structure and an application that handles incoming requests to
a server.

Basically, when you use struts, the incoming request is sent to a central
point ("Controller") which then uses various resources to handle the
request.  This is done via the web.xml configuration file.  All requests
with specified urls are sent to the controller.  There are "Form" classes
that hold the values in the input tags from the html.  There are "Mapping"
classes that handle the information (put into the struts configuration xml)
that tell the controller what to do with the request.  The mapping classes
are obviously central.  There are "Error" classes that handle errors.

All of the above are coordinated in an environment that attempts to follow
the "MVC" pattern, as it applies to web-based architectures.  The various
tiers are decoupled from all but their contiguous tiers.

This is all too simple, of course, but that is the idea.  You can clearly
do this on your own.  There are some deficiencies that I am sure Craig
would change if he had Monday morning quarterbacking possibilities to
change things without screwing people that are already using the
application.  But, struts is, I find, a very efficient and well documented
application.  If you do anything as complicated as struts, you will have to
get as "complicated".  You can do a million things with all the
architectures, but struts is cleasly one of the best if not the very best
around.

Micael

LEGAL NOTICE

you