tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Donie Kelly <donie.ke...@tecnomen.ie>
Subject RE: How to debug servlets under tomcat?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:47:22 GMT
In fairness, this thread is about debugging and not logging. I see a subtle
difference. Debugging a servlet locally using an IDE is much more
productive.

Our solution here is

a) install tomcat locally (make sure you can start and run tomcat)
b) install eclipse
c) Go to Run | Debug... and in the dialog set the main class to
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
d) On next tab of same dialog set the Program arguments to "start"
e) On tomcat 4.1.18 you need the following jars in your classpath
/bin/bootstrap.jar
/common/lib/naming-resources.jar
/common/lib/naming-common.jar
/common/lib/commons-collections.jar
/common/lib/servlet.jar
/server/lib/common-beanutils.jar
/server/lib/Catalina.jar
/server/lib/commons-digester.jar
/server/lib/tomcat-util.jar
f) Earlier version of tomcat may require a slightly different set of jars.
Install them all from the directories bin, common/lib and server/lib if you
are unsure.
g) Create a project in eclipse and set it's output path to be the
WEB-INF/classes directory wherever that is (configure in server.xml)
h) Your application should be runable locally without using eclipse. If that
is the case then eclipse will have no problem.

Running in a production environment is a different ball game and we use a
separate official build/install that takes into account the platform other
obvious things. We also use log4j for logging in the production environment.
That's what it's for.

Donie