tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Donie Kelly <donie.ke...@tecnomen.ie>
Subject FW: - off topic - How to encrypt data that can be read by server and client
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:38:37 GMT

Hi all

Sorry for the OT but I wondering if anybody has had the need to do the
following?

We want to store data in LDAP that is "encrypted" and can be read by tomcat
servlets running on two different machines.

Both applications are clients are far as the data is concerned so both need
to be able to decrypt it. I would like to be able to write a standalone
class to do the encryption/decryption but any examples I have found use a
key which is generated on the machine or is available on the machine.

Question is how can I embed the private key in the class and use some fairly
strong encryption so the data cannot be hacked by browsing the LDAP
server...

Thanks for any insights
Donie