tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject RE: Trying submit text containing the = sign
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:40:52 GMT

(Using TC 4.0.3)

Just wrote a small test and in 4.0.3, it looks like POSTed requests handle
the equals sign like you're looking for (the equals sign and anything after
it are returned by the req.getParameter() method), although GET requests
return a null value.  To be absolutely clear:

HTML: <input type=hidden value="comments=false" name="pwe">
CODE: System.out.println(req.getParameter("p1"));
OUTPUT: comments=false

Since the behavior is different for POST vs GET requests, I would think
there's a problem here.  Can someone verify this on 4.1.24?  Any comments
from spec or implementation people?

justin

At 12:20 PM 4/10/2003, you wrote:
>This is definately a jsp/tomcat issue, regular html submit pages transfer
>the = just fine
>
>I am using request.getParameter("name") and its not returning anything
>including and after the =
>
>Replacing all = signs before the submit is not a solution that I would
>like to use. Perhaps I should
>not have used the term work around.
>
>I also can't depend on java script to fix a problem that would most
>likely contain very important data. There are a lot of places that disable
>java script because they
>consider it a security risk.
>
>I also can't ask the end user to type anything else than they normally
>would. Forms should submit exactly
>what they are told to submit.
>
>So basically I am looking for a fix to this problem and not a work around.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
Confidential