tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat Memory Problems and WebTrends
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:02:43 GMT
You can configure webtrends to not pull the HTML title. That is all webtrends
is doing. (I think). If you don't need the HTML title inyour report - woohoo
- problem solved.

PS: I hate webtrends

-Tim

Turoff, Steve wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am running Tomcat 4.1.24 and Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux). Every night, a
WebTrends server makes a request to every page in the Apache access_logs. I believe this is
to obtain the HTML title for the WebTrends reports. I've noticed that when WebTrends makes
it's requests, Tomcat's memory starts to climb dramatically. I modified httpd.conf to pipe
the access_logs into a script I wrote which outputs the line from the access_log (actually
a shorter custom Format) and the amount of memory that Tomcat is using. I've attached a sample
at the end of this email. As you can see from 03:36:59 AM to 04:01:15, Tomcat's memory almost
doubles. On some nights, Tomcat actually stops accepting requests and I have to kill all of
the java processes in order to restart Tomcat. I've attempted to recreate this problem using
The Grinder (load tester), but cannot do so.