tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "bognár, attila" <attila.bog...@netalfa.com>
Subject Re: x-forwarded-for
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:44:00 GMT

> I meant to say (for laziness) that every attempt should be made to not
> write a custom valve if another mechanism might do the trick. That
> doesn't mean you shouldn't write a valve, but doing so might be a time
> consuming task since the docs and intricacies on doing so (or any
> extending of tomcat) is sparse and only really exists in the source
> code. (The disadvantage of open source).

with such a valve I want to make, the proxying would be nearly totally
transparent, that's why I'd like it (accesslogvalve could be configured
the ususal way, more entries in the X-Forwarded-For header could be
handled, the filter would not have to be added for every application -
only for every context and my users would not need to take care of
this). I would even contribute it to the tomcat project, since it is
something that more people would need who have tomcat behind a proxy.

and (again :-) ErrorReportValve: is the casting a bug/misfunction/meant
that way? if this is a bug and request.getRequest() is the solution,
what's the way to fix it, e.g. commit it to the sources (somebody
reviews it etc.)? I can make my own version of tomcat, but if this is a
bug, everybody would benefit if it is corrected. (I can make a bug
report, but if I can fix it for the next release, it would be simple for
me :-)

> There are other threads in tomcat-user list where users have encountered
> this problem. A good place to research is here:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&r=1&w=2 (I suggest search on
> MBean and Valve)

thank you very much, I will investigate on this.

attila