tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vy Ho <st946...@drexel.edu>
Subject Re: <If> STRUTS</If>
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:48:27 GMT

Thanks all for your comment.

No doubt in my mind that Struts is better to use than unstructured JSP.

There are couple things in my mind though:

1) Can I create MVC app without using Struts, such as separate my logic
out from the JSP (I know, there was an example that show there are cases
using struts reduce the code down dramatically, so this lead to a 2nd
question)

2) With the complicated web nature, and the complicated Struts (with my
thought on the first post), isn't there some room for easier to learn,
and quicker to adopt technology than Struts (Which may not exist yet).
This question is silly by itself, but please give me time to explain.
What I try to ask is that is there a currently existed technology that
is much better than struts, or is it very forseeable that such a
technology can be develope in a near future.  (Sure, Struts is not
perfect, and can be improved, but I am talking a big change, not an
improvement here).

3) Can you give me a good example of use for Struts?
My list of guesses (please comment on each, and give extra if you have time)

a) The follow can be easily done by JSP without Struts:
    - Reservation system web app?
    - Email app (such hotmail)?
    - Shopping cart?
    - Corporate website (such as customer support area).
b) No, the above are too simple:
    - Nuclear explotion simmulation (or extraterrestrial life search)
    - Multi player (webase) app (like dungeon type, or sim)
    - Webase collaboration (such as 1000 people working on a same document)
c) No, it's the ability to easily add GUI functionality to IDE that
generates Struts apps
d) It depends on  how the app works:
    - Application that uses alot of sessionings
    - Application that uses alot of customization (personalization)
    - Application that changes all the time (like a news service such as
cnn.com)
    - Application that is extremely large, and structural (not a list of
1000 pages, but 1000 pages structurally, and display depends on the
current state).
    - Application that is highly interactive (with users)
    - Application that was moved from desktop client to the web client.

Please don't say all of the above, because I know Struts can do all
that.  Just the one that makes Struts a big differentiator.

Again, thanks all.  If you have time, please share.  If not, please
ignore.  I know, I just want to discuss ideas, and learn a bit from your
experience.   You can always ask me to search for the information on the
web.  But getting information interactively from people who knows it
best is something I don't like to pass up.