tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Henning Heil" <>
Subject Re: Form Auth
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:25:12 GMT
Hi Michael,

++++ Michael D. Kirkpatrick wrote on 01.04.2003 17:05 ++++

>I am not quite sure if this question is suitable for this mailing list.  If
>not, please forgive me.
>So here is my question.  How can I capture the original query string or make
>the query string in web.xml dynamic?
in general I would not recommend to set the string in the web.xml.
first part of your question: you can read out any parameter of a post or
get string by request.getParameter(String parametername);
second part: there are multiple ways to manipulate the request
parameters: java -> request.setAttribute(String attributename, String
value); or by hidden fields in html forms or with select-fields which
are submitted . . .

I would suggest:

read out the site the user is coming from with

String mysite = request.getParameter("site");

(of course you have to add this to the string somewhere on the original

write it to newly generated links:

out.println("passwordsubmitter.jsp?site=" + mysite);

or sth like this . . .

>I am also looking for mailing lists for the following:
>    Struts Questions
there's one on the site I think -> struts  . . .

>    General Java Questions
>    J2EE Questions
no mailing but extremely cool & helpful people there and also mailing
mechanisms to keep track of your threads:

>If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly
>Thanks in advance.
Have fun,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: