tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Scott Ahten <pi...@pixelfreak.net>
Subject Strategy for Hosting Multiple Sites with Apache / Tomcat
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:27:48 GMT
I've managed to get Tomcat running with Apache using Mod JK2 thanks to
the great reference found here...

http://www.gregoire.org/howto/Apache2_Jk2_TC4.1.x_JSDK1.4.x.html

[ thanks to Robert Sowders! ]

My ultimate goal is to host multiple sites on a single instance of
Tomcat 4.1x and Apache2 using virtual hosting. Most of these sites have
been running in Tomcat stand-alone, but I would like to front these
sites with Apache to provide better performance on static content and
SSL support.

Since I have Tomcat and Apache 2 talking, I am now faced with strategic
questions which are of a less technical nature.

01. Separation of Dynamic and Static Content

Currently, all content for each domain lives in a single webapp and
host with it's own document root. This is very convenient since we only
have to update a single directory tree when changes are made to a site.
Based on my observations, I will need to separate dynamic and static
content and store them in two different document roots - one for a
Tomcat context/webapp and another for Apache static content. This seems
very awkward and error prone. Is there a better way to do this?

02. Webapps or Contexts in Tomcat

What is the most common way to separate dynamic content in Tomcat?
Should I create a single host with a separate context for each domain
or should I use multiple webapps instead?

Also, I've noticed that when I make changes to the workers2.properties
file, I have to reboot - otherwise, tomcat fails to start since it
can't bind to port 8080. Strange....

Thanks in advance,

~Scott