tomcat-users mailing list archives

From khachchou simo <m_khachc...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Special characters problem under Tomcat 4.1.24
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:52:06 GMT

Hi Everybody,
It will be great if someone can answer my question please as soon as possible.

While trying to port a (JSP/Servlet HTML) application which works well under Tomcat 3.3 to
Tomcat 4.1.24, I found that special characters( like "&eacute;" : accents, tilde...) were
replaced with "?". And this problem is not existing under Tomcat 3.3.

Now to fix the problem, I've tried the following steps, in sequence:

1) I cut apache out of the loop and accessed tomcat directly to see
if it
interfered at all- no change
2) I added <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT="text/html;charset=UTF-8"> to inside my html-head tags
3) I added <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> to
my JSP pages
4) Finally, I tried doing request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") at
the top
of my doGet and doPut methods

None of the first 3 steps helped- still that '?'

I also tried multiple other encodings.
Can anyone help?!?!

Thanks!

Best regards,