tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kal inuganti <websph...@yahoo.com>
Subject Java Question - Help Please
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:33:41 GMT
I am building a web based application using Tomcat. I have a TextArea in an HTML form. Users
can copy and paste their resumes (source - Microsoft Word Docs) into this text area. The request
is posted to a JSP, Struts Action Class (Any Java Class that can write to a database).

When I do a System.out.println(request.getParameter("resume")); I the special characters like
bullets and quotes and a bunch of others are getting transformed to Question Marks. When I
insert the resume into an Oracle Database (into a clob field) they are still being saved a
question marks.
Experiment -
I have a JSP Page that displays the posted resume. It has 2 things -  1. It writes the request.getParameter("resume")
to the HTML and this comes out fine - displays the special characters.  2. But when it writes
the resume that is retrieved from the oracle database, i am getting back question marks.

I understand that Java uses unicode for character encoding/representation and I tried changing
my HTML page's charset to UTF-8, ISO-8859-1. Both did not seem to fix my problem.  I understand
that there are tons of websites that let users copy and paste their resumes that are stored
in a database. How are these resumes stored and retrieved from a database using server side
java? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-kal