tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Tarkenton <tark_tom...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1, Standalone, Port 80, Coyote
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:35:48 GMT
Hello all. I have configured Tomcat 4.1 to act as a standalone and to handle requests submitted
through port 80 on win2k pro platform.  This was obviously quite simple to do by editing the
server.xml file.  I simply changed the standalone Service's Coyote Connector port from 8080
to 80.  Pretty simple. <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
port="80" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000" useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
/>  However, I tried to recreate this setup on Redhat 8.0.  When I try to access http://localhost/foo,
I receive a "connection refused message".  I did not get this before on the linux machine
when I had the port set to 8080 (and I accessed http://localhost:8080/foo).  I noticed that
once I had the port set to 80, and tried to start tomcat, that there were error messages in
the catalina.out log file.  Basically the error stated "SEVERE: Error Initializing endpoint.
 java.net.BindException:  Permission Denied:80"  This would explain why I am getting "connection
refused" messages in my browser. What do I have to do to get tomcat to bind to port 80?  There
must be some conflict.  I have apache installed, but it is not running.  Perhaps apache has
some lock or bind to port 80 somewhere? I'm lost here in the linux world.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.