tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Allen <...@mojavelinux.com>
Subject Re: <If> STRUTS</If>
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:17:10 GMT

Vy Ho (st946tbf@drexel.edu) wrote:

> This maybe off topic a bit.  However, I think the audience of this
> mailing listing probably the best place to ask.
>
> First, I am sorry to those who feel offended by this.  This is just pure
> technical discussion, no mean to offend any one.  Opposite view is
> appreciated.
>
> I tried out couple tutorial of STRUTS. My feeling is that this technolog
> is overly complicated.  It's like killing an ant with a machine gun.
> It takes so much to just output a "hello world" web page the STRUTS way.
>
> Yes, one may argue that "hello world" example is just an illustration,
> you reap the benefit when the project is big.  Yes, I see.  But, my
> impression is that STRUTS does not scale well in the learning curve or
> amount of work.
> Here is what I mean:
> If you look at C, C++, Java, Model View Controller, SQL, database (such
> as JDBC) techonologies, they scales very well with the learning curve.
>
> If you want to do little, it's little to learn, and very little to do to
> get it to work (couple lines of code, couple things here and there).
>
> Struts is different.  In solving the real world problem, no question
> about it (because I don't have much experience with it), but in learning
> curve, and amount of work, it does not scale well for small app.
>
> This implies:  if you want to build a hello world, then use perl, or
> simple jsp, dear.  But once your app get biggers, then use Struts.
>
> I wonder if there's other technology that makes this easier.  (tutorial
> from Sun's new tag support does not seem to alleviate much).
>
> In summary, killing an ant, or an elephant, struts would do it.  But
> learning to hold the strut gun won't be easy or simple or quikc  for
> whatever you want to do.

What you have to understand is that it isn't struts that is
complicated, it is that nature of web services, namely browser
requests.  Since this type of model is more random then a
well-defined desktop application, it is necessary to take more into
consideration when dealing with one.  You can of course forget all
that and write a very insecure, very non-extensible page which might
be good for a homepage, but it just won't do for an app.  For those
of use used to programming in the web environment, struts is a
GOD-sent.

Dan

Daniel Allen, <dan@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/