tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin <webpo...@mg77.net>
Subject Auth via getRemoteUser from Apache
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:20:14 GMT
I've seen lots of hits to exactly this problem in all sorts of archives, but
nowhere did I find a corresponding solution that actually helped. Am hoping someone
can offer a simple fix here, this shouldn't be that hard...

Running: Tomcat 4.1.24, Apache 2.0.44.

I want to call "request.getRemoteUser()", and pickup the username which Apache
authenticated via standard BASIC authentication.

If I build a test .jsp which spits out both getRemoteUser, and getHeader("Authorization"),
the first returns null, the 2nd returns the normal B64 encoded string.

Why doesn't getRemoteUser work?

I get exactly the same behaviour regardless of which connector I'm running. Have tried:
mod_proxy
mod_jk 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2.
mod_jk2 2.0.2.

This setup works exactly as expected running Tomcat 4.1.14 with mod_jk 1.2.0.
Whats changed in the later version? What config option do I set?
"tomcatAuthentication=false" in the CoyoteConnector does nothing for me...

Any hints?

-Martin.