tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <da_alchem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs. JBoss
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:04:57 GMT
It is sad really to be exposed like this.  Your
company's web site does present you as the J2EE expert
and yet you ask questions that do not "mix", for lack
of a better description.  If you truly understood J2EE
and merely glanced at the JBoss web site
(www.jboss.org) you would hopefully be able to
ascertain that JBoss functions primarily as an EJB
container, while Tomcat can actually work with JBoss
as its servlet container.

Perhaps I am being a bit too harsh and should
recognize that maybe its your mastery of the English
language that is at fault here and you really do
understand the differences between JBoss and Tomcat
and simply did not pose the question clearly.  If that
is the case I apologize, but please be careful in
presenting future questions otherwise I would
anticipate plenty more grief from others.

Finally, to answer your questions as best as I can
interpret them.  You are absolutely correct in that
JBoss is complex.  Hell, most production level J2EE
servers (BEA Weblogic, IBM Websphere, etc.) are
complex, probably due to the J2EE specification being
a bit involved.  But, as with all things they become
much simpler with experience.  As for Tomcat being a
"J2EE engine", that is a bad characterization.  Tomcat
merely implements a piece (servlets) of the J2EE
specification.  Tomcat, last I checked, does not
function as an EJB container and so you cannot really
compare it to JBoss.  Although, JBoss does come with
its own servlet container (JBoss Web, formerly Jetty).
 To answer your overall question, you can keep Tomcat
and use it synergistically with JBoss as many others
have done and it seems to work well in production
depending on how they are being used.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.