tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: partially updating a WAR file using manager app??
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:14:30 GMT

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 johannes.fiala@fwd.at wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:15:10 +0200
> From: johannes.fiala@fwd.at
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: partially updating a WAR file using manager app??
>
> Hi Yoav/Craig,
>
> I'll take a look at the entry points you gave me - maybe I'll find my way
> through them.
> Of course I'll keep you posted if I get useful results...
>
> However, I still think it's a fundamental lack of the WAR approach not
> being able to incrementally add functionality.
> I originally come from the Lotus Notes/Domino world, where adding a form
> or a view is a snap.
> I try to design my J2EE apps this way, but the final displaying component
> according to MVC is a JSP. So I have to add a JSP whenever I want to add a
> form or view (Unless I have a generic component).
>
> Craig: It's always that way that you add a form, test it locally and then
> you want to deploy it to production. This could occur quite frequently,
> and putting down the application just to add another component is really
> not cool.
> Who wants to put down a whole app just to add a single JSP or GIF file?

Incrementally adding single files like this, to an application running in
production already, sounds way too risky for my taste, even if it was easy
to do (and in Tomcat you can still do the same thing I talked about in a
production deployment as well).  The chances of inadvertently introducing
wierd problems is way too high -- I prefer to rerun unit tests against the
updated app first, and then redeploy exactly what I tested as a unit.

For static files, this is probably not a big deal (although it's still way
too easy to create broken links through typos and such).  For files that
represent dynamic content, I always consider safety to be more important
than convenience.

> ==> I'll rethink my approach, but I think images and static stuff should
> be addable during runtime.
> This stuff isn't included in EXE files anyway, it is usually stored
> outside the basic application. I think WAR files should have the same
> approache.

As above, you don't *have* to use a WAR if you're running Tomcat for your
production apps.  But you should seriously think about the consequences if
you decide not to.

> thx so far
> Johannes

Craig