tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: partially updating a WAR file using manager app??
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:02:22 GMT

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 johannes.fiala@fwd.at wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:33:06 +0200
> From: johannes.fiala@fwd.at
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: partially updating a WAR file using manager app??
>
> Hi Yoav,
>
> I understand this definition, but am not a 100% satisfied with it.
> Hmm. Maybe here the J2EE specification of Sun is not sufficient.
>
> Shouldn't there be some way to add templates or graphics or JSPs on the
> fly (which are more layout information = view part of the MVC model)?
>
> I'm a bit puzzled because adding a form (JSP) in my my forms application
> requires a complete reboot of the application, which takes up to 10
> seconds via a remore deploy using ant. That doesn't sound much, but I
> cannot afford telling my customer, because they add new JSPs frequently
> (5-10 forms a day or so).
>
> So I think there should be an incremental update possibility for WAR
> files, maybe someone will pick this up some day :)

During development, you just set up Tomcat to run from a directory that is
organized like a WAR (with a /WEB-INF directory and so on).  Then, you
just edit the JSP pages in place and they get automatically recognized.

Don't even worry about WAR files until you get ready to package your app
for production deployment.

> thx alot
> Johannes

Craig