tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Stats MBean for DBCP DataSources
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:03:15 GMT

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Halstead, Chris wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:07:53 -0500
> From: "Halstead, Chris" <>
> To: Tomcat Users List <>
> Subject: Stats MBean for DBCP DataSources
> Hello,
> I was thinking of writing DBCP DataSource stats MBean for the purpose of
> exposing the metrics methods inherent in the DBCP BasicDataSource class
> (getNumIdle(), getMaxActive(), etc.).  Before I venture down that road,
> is this already on the drawing board anywhere?  Has anyone else done it
> already?  I sure don't want to reinvent the wheel, but being able to
> access these stats via JMX is something that we very much want to do.

I don't know of any plans, but think this would be a good idea.

You might also want to propose a patch to commons-dbcp (where
BasicDataSource comes from) to add some counters for things like how many
connections have been handed out, average time, or whatever else would be

> Thanks,
> -chris

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: