tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Williams <>
Subject mod_jk2...please help!
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:50:17 GMT

I am on Redhat 8.0 with the default apache rpm install of 2.0.40 and
Tomcat 4.1.18.  I need to confure the two of these together.  I
previously posted a message asking if anyone know of a mod_jk2, or
mod_jk binary that would work with the configuration.  The jakarta site
only has versions for apache 2.0.42 and 2.0.43 for linux.

I have now downloaded the source code, and built the file.  I
am STILL getting the following error when I try to start apache:

"httpd failed. The error was: Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
Starting httpd: httpd: module "../../server/apache2/mod_jk2.c" is not
compatible with this version of Apache.
Please contact the vendor for the correct version.

I have NO IDEA what to do now.  Here are my steps I took for building
the file:

1.  Download the mod_jk2 source file.  I used the latest at the time
(which was v.2.0.2).
I found it at
2.  extract the file to wherever you want.
3.  find the apxs file on your computer.  For me, it was in
4.  navigate to
5.  execute:  ./
6.  execute:  ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
(include the apxs file)
7.  execute:  make (the is now created)
8.  move to the
9.  Verify the file is created.
10.  Copy this file to your appache modules folder.  For me, it is

Here are my config files:

mod_jk2.conf (included in httpd.conf file)
<IfModule !mod_jk2.c>
  LoadModule jk2_module /etc/httpd/modules/
JkWorkersFile "/etc/tomcat4/"
JkLogFile "/var/tomcat4/logs/mod_jk2.log"
JkLogLevel info
<VirtualHost localhost>
    ServerName localhost
    JkMount /admin testWorker1
    JkMount /admin/* testWorker1

<Connector  className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector"
         minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
         acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
# setting worker info

I have now spent approximately 20 hours on something I feel shouldn't
take more than 30 minutes, and am about ready to throw my computer out
the window.  The only thing I can think of here is I specified the
--with-apxs2 instead of --with-apxs.  This was because I originally
tried the --with-apxs and the build tool told me to change it to

What am I doing wrong?

Kevin Williams

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: