tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marc Chamberlin" <ma...@easystreet.com>
Subject Configuring Tomcat to use CGI
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:10:23 GMT
Hello - I am trying to install Bugzilla on a Linux machine using Tomcat4.1 as the server, and
cannot figure out how to get the CGI servlet running. Under the webapps directory I created
a directory called bugzilla, under that a directory called WEB-INF, and in there I created
a basic web.xml file and a cgi directory. In this cgi directory I placed all the .cgi files
(and other files) from the Bugzilla installation. (I am not sure what I should put in this
web.xml file....)

As per the CGI instructions for Tomcat, I removed the comments around the CGI servlet and
mapping sections in the web.xml file (in the conf directory), and changed the name of the
servlets-cgi.renametojar file to servlets-cgi.jar.

When I try to reach the URL - www.mydomain.com/bugzilla/cgi-bin/index.cgi I am getting the
following error -

HTTP Status 503 - Servlet cgi is currently unavailable

Any ideas or help will be much appreciated, I have tried different ideas myself as to how
to organize the directories, and config files, but so far cannot get past this error....

     Marc Chamberlin

Do you think the software industry will ever make software
that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable
 for a user to drive?
A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane